How far we've come
BCU began in 1981, when a group of executives at Baxter decided to establish a new credit union for the convenience and financial well-being of their employees. In the beginning, we only offered checking and savings accounts, along with auto loans.
However, our credit union quickly grew to half a billion dollars in assets in 1999 to more than two billion dollars and 197,000 members today. Since our early days, we’ve been a pioneer in the credit union industry, being one of the first to offer access to automated teller machines, online banking and more.
Today, with over a billion dollars in total assets, we’re one of the nation’s top 100 credit unions and the fourth largest in Illinois. BCU serves over 197,000 members and has service centers across the country and in Puerto Rico.
- 1981 Employees at Baxter create BCU, offering just loans and direct deposit
- 1985 BCU begins offering Visa® credit cards and home equity loans
- 1987 We install our first ATM and BART, our telephone teller
- 1991 BCU starts issuing mortgages
- 1994 BCU.org goes online and begins 24/7 loan approvals
- 1996 Our members can now take advantage of brokerage services through Members Financial Services. We also begin offering the Visa Check Card
- 1999 BCU makes banking even more convenient by introducing online banking. Because we’ve grown to $500 Million in assets, we moved to our second headquarters in Vernon Hills, Illinois
- 2000 We debut CURewards, our credit card points program
- 2006 BCU reaches $1 Billion in assets
- 2007 We moved to our current headquarters in Vernon Hills
- 2011 We merged with Target Credit Union
- 2014 BCU reaches $2 Billion in assets