How to Avoid Identity Theft
Identity theft is scary. If criminals find your personal information like Social Security numbers and account numbers, they can wreak havoc with your finances and your credit. Crooks can get this info from lost or discarded paperwork. They can also get it online if you enter your personal information into a bogus website. But by using common sense and taking precautions, you can protect yourself.
Steps you can take to avoid identity theft.
1. Take care of your personal information. Be sure to shred financial documents and anything with your account numbers on them before throwing them away.
2. Protect your passwords. Make sure to keep your passwords a secret. Don’t write them down, don’t share them with anyone else and if you’re using a computer in a public area, make sure nobody else is watching your keystrokes as you enter your password.
3. Provide information only to trusted sources. You should only share your information with trusted sources. Be cautious about clicking on links in emails. Since BCU will only send emails from firstname.lastname@example.org add that to your address book.
4. Keep your browser and operating system up to date. New versions and updates often include important security enhancements. And they can usually be downloaded for free on the vendor’s website.
5. Update your anti-virus software regularly. Anti-virus software needs frequent updates to guard against new viruses, so be sure to download updates as soon as they’re available.
6. Eliminate paper and increase security. Recent studies have shown that a very easy way to protect your personal information is to limit the amount of paper that has your personal information printed on it. The Credit Union’s Online Banking, Online Statements and Enhanced Direct Deposit™ are great ways to do this.
How the Credit Union helps protect you from online fraud.
At the Credit Union, We’ve Got Your Back™. We believe that Online Banking should not only be easy and convenient, but also safe, secure and worry-free. We use industry-leading security measures to make sure your Online Banking – and your personal information – are completely safe.
In the unlikely event that fraud does occur, the Credit Union’s Zero Risk Guarantee reimburses you for 100 percent of the unauthorized transactions from your account.
By staying vigilant and being proactive, you can make sure you – and your information – stay safe.
Enhanced Direct Deposit™, We’ve Got Your Back™ and Life. Money. You.™ are trademarks of BCU.